Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

No Skimping

By 10:33 PM

I believe there are rules to skimping.
----

Skimp. Yes, it's a word.  Collins English Dictionary (2009) defines it as a verb. To skimp:

skimp  (skɪmp)
— vb
1. to be extremely sparing or supply sparingly

2.to perform (work, etc) carelessly, hastily, or with 
inadequate materials


There are things in life for which skimping is unacceptable:
For example, always put too much whipped cream in your hot cocoa. The opportunities for delicious hot chocolate are sparse; therefore, don't skimp.


Don't buy off-brand soda. There is a huge difference between Dr. Thunder and Dr. Pepper. Trust me on this, I'm an expert.

Similarly, do not purchase off-brand marshmallows. Especially for s'mores. Reason: Inadequate materials (see definition above).

Do not skimp on the quality of your friends. Quantity is less important; quality is paramount.

Do not skimp on good jeans. Everyone needs their favorite pair of jeans.
P.S. If you don't have a fav pair.... come raid my closet. I have a jean-buying problem #PublicConfession

Do not skimp on adventures. Life is short so live it well. Plan trips. Find quiet times to think and reflect. Enjoy roadtrips, even short ones. Choose outings with friends and game nights with family. Allow yourself to eat too much (every once in a while).

Do not skimp on learning. Always be a learner. Soak up useless facts. Absorb new talents. Share jokes. Learn things and pass those tidbits on to others. For example, today I learned that it's illegal to hunt camels in Arizona. That knowledge may impact an adventure I was planning....

Do not skimp on using the AC in summer or heater in winter. Especially if I end up being a guest at your house. Thank you in advance.

Do not skimp on good music. Or good books. I'm serious.

Do not skimp on a quality office chair. Good posture's important, even Emily Post accounts for that. I've had a crappy office chair for the past 4 months. I recently reclaimed my old office chair from my sister's house. It's made all the difference in the world (i.e., I'm not experiencing daily back pain).

Do not skimp on sharing wine or sweet tea with others. A good glass of wine or sweet tea can invite laughter, summon conversation, and soothe the soul. I believe those beverages have magical powers. Thank you Rachel Price and Lori Millner, respectively, for demonstrating the importance of this kind of hospitality.

Finally, do not skimp on whatever it is you love most. Seems like sage advice.... even if it comes from me.


----
And just for discussion purposes....  things it may be okay to skimp on:
(1) Low-fat milk. Yep, I prefer skim milk to whole or 2%.
(2) Coach seat on a flight. You don't get as much space, but your wallet will appreciate you when you land.

You Might Also Like

1 comments