Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

Intro to Introverts

By 6:51 PM

I remember the first time I took a personality test. I was in junior high and was shocked to be labeled an "introvert."  Especially since I was one of those annoyingly loud, bubbly teenagers. Yep!  I wore bright colors, platform* sandals, a high ponytail, short skirts, and people usually heard me before they saw me.  I was outgoing and friendly-- again, this often came across as obnoxious instead of truly welcoming.

So back to my discovery....

As a 9th grader, I took a personality test that labeled me an introvert.  This was shocking since I'd previously considered introverts to be, well, assholes actually. Similar to what you see pictured here.

It took me a few years to learn that introverts are not people-haters. (Well, not necessarily.)  Instead, introverts are simply those individuals who get their "energy" from being alone. Conversely, extroverts are people who charge their batteries by surrounding themselves with friends.

As I learned the difference between extroverts and introverts, I made peace with the label.  Mostly because it's true: I love being alone.  I mean, I'm fine hanging out with people (dinner dates, small talk, serious conversations, meet-and-greets, etc).  But in order for me to "work a room," I must prepare by stockpiling some alone-time.

All of this back story to ask: does being an introvert (or an extravert) define you as a person?

I pose this question because I came across an interesting little photo/chart last week; it teaches people How to Care for Introverts.

I clicked the link because I thought: "perhaps I'll learn some things I didn't know about myself."  Maybe this chart would profoundly describe what I need in relationships, things I'd been unable to articulate before.  You know what I was greeted with instead? Totally obvious remarks about what all people want from others. Like mutual respect and appreciation for individuality.

This "teaching tool" makes obvious claims that are true of anyone sucking air on this planet.  For instance, who wants their privacy violated?   All people typically appreciate a heads-up when plans change. And who among us embraces change?  Isn't most change at least a little scary?

I think my favorites are numbers 2 and 8.... like these tid-bits are new ideas to anyone with a brain.  I don't think it's my introvert-quality that desires private rebuke.  Who in their right mind is okay with public humiliation?  I know lots of extroverts, and they don't want to be embarrassed in public either.

So for the introverts out there hell-bent on "educating the extroverts."  Maybe make a list that doesn't include every human being on planet earth; what is this, a horoscope?

---

* Don't judge me for this. Platform sandals were very fashionable in the late 90s.

You Might Also Like

2 comments