Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

Refined Priorities

By 2:15 PM

I recently read a few thoughts that are challenging me...

"My TV has 500 channels. My iPod has 7,000 songs. My internet has like 30 billion pages... This is one of the biggest problems that must be reckoned with in the Twitter age: our ever-diminishing inclination and/or ability to slow down and think thoroughly, deeply and profoundly about anything...

At the end of the day, it's just hard for us to have interior thought-lives anymore. It's hard to keep anything to ourselves and be reflective just for ourselves. With Twitter, Facebook, blogs... It's no wonder praying privately, silently and alone is a difficult endeavor for so many of us [rather ironic that I'm posting this sentence to my blog]. Adding to the difficulty- the person we are talking to (God) is not speaking back to us, and it becomes nearly impossible [because] instant feedback is such a crucial part of our technological, mediated existence today..." -Brett McCracken (via Relevant Magazine)

I have no pretty ribbon to tie onto this thought because I'm in the trenches. I'm considering how media both improves and consumes my life. I'm wrestling with how regular, immediate technological feedback is affecting my expectations of God.

I want to slow down and enjoy the rhythm of LIFE, and yet I want to stay in tune and connected. There's a real tension at work here; one we should all be willing to confront. May we emerge with refined priorities and life patterns that make time for silence and Christ.

You Might Also Like

5 comments