Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

Tangible Kingdom

By 8:48 PM

I'm sitting in Republic Coffee, one of those trendy independent coffee shops with low lights and alternative music. Everyone has a macbook, me included. I'm debating about ordering the bread pudding; it's my favorite in Memphis. I came here to read.


When I walked in the door, the barista shouted my name. James and I always talk when I come in. He needs a root canal and doesn't have dental insurance so I always ask what the update is. One day when I'm rich I want to fund a free oral surgery clinic. Dentistry is such a racket. He has an appointment at a reduced-fee place in January...freakin' three months away. We talk for a bit about that. He's still doing construction part time. He hands me my non-fat steamer with sugar free vanilla syrup and I find a booth to myself.

My date is a book called "The Tangible Kingdom." The subtitle reads "Creating Incarnational Community: The Posture and Practices of Ancient Church Now." I love the title. It makes me hungry for something bigger than myself. I've been reading this book for several months and this weekend I finally got to the end.

I have a hope that I haven't had in a long time. What if the Kingdom of God was tangible in my life as it's meant to be? A felt presence? Heaviness and lightness at the same time? Completely palpable? It's parables about leaven and coins and seeds...and so much more. It's like a virus spreading to infect every aspect of society and I am a carrier.

The Gospel is plainly and simply good news. The Liberating King that rules in the hearts of believers is spreading this good news all around us, and it's weaving it's way into James' life. May it be tangible to him. How do I show him it is?

You Might Also Like

1 comments