Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

The Heartache Series: Right Thinking

By 12:33 AM

I think the hardest thing about a broken heart is that it corrupts the mind.
Well, actually the worst thing is the gnawing ache, but that kind of goes without saying at this point.

So back to my assertion....
There's something about heartache that disrupts your logic.  For instance, I struggle to remain committed to moving forward.  Most of the time (let's guesstimate 93% of each day), I know I should move on and not look back.  But then these ninja-thoughts show up--- notions that come on the scene like a full-fledged sneak attack. I'll be strong one minute and then weeping for this lost connection the next. And in my circumstance, it's exasperated by my lack of community.  Because I know so few people and I feel mostly alone in this city, I obsess about this person I used to care for.  I long for the comfort of feeling known once again.  Blogger HB calls this the Fishing Lines of Loneliness; I call it illogical clinging and corrupt concluding all because of heartache.
Basically, it's the opposite of sanity.


In an effort to deal with sinking thoughts, I work to keep truth ever before me.  I focus on "good" thoughts.  I enter into the battle that rages inside my own head and heart.  I do this because Paul's letter to the church at Philippi encourages all of us to choose right thinking.  Philippians 4: 6-8 states:
             Do not be anxious... but present your requests to God and His peace,
             which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds...  
             Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
             whatever is right, whatever is pure,
             whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--
             if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things.
             [emphasis added]

I am attempting to believe true, right, and admirable things--- trusting that God's peace is guarding my heart and mind.  I strive to believe truthful things about myself, the man I am trying to get over, the relationship I was in, and my future.

I re-read words, quotes, and statements that keep me moving forward. Though these sentences are not always pleasant, they are true and were stated in an effort to keep a broken heart grounded.  The remarks of my friends are paramount to this effort.  Here are a few statements shared by loved ones that rebuild and keep me moving onward.
  • I love that life isn't easy for you, and yet you've had such an impact for good. (It seems to make it mean more or something.) 
  • I am proud of you for being bold and loving bravely. I am also grateful that you don't easily grow tired or take the easy road (maybe because you are stubborn). You still are teaching me to trust others with my heart.
  • You heal, eventually, but it sucks.
  • That you'll be "this way for years" is just not truth... That feeling of being stuck like this [broken hearted] is one of the byproducts that come with pouring out everything you had to someone.
  • God will heal any wound, but He will always leave a scar... scars are the mark of where we've been and what we've been through... they're supposed to remind us... so we learn.
  • And the good memories don't need to go away either. Let's face it, there's a reason you love(d) him and it's okay to be so, so sad. But in the sadness, try to find a way to move forward.
  • Psalm 94:19 says "In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.  I know that in my "multitude of thoughts" the majority is doubt and fear, but I take such comfort that the Lord meets me there. He is there in the worries, the confusion, the thousands of scenarios.
  • I know you must hurt unimaginably right now... but life does move on. And although the valley may feel like it goes on for miles and miles, God provides.
  • Believe the truth that you are not a hard person to love. Your husband will be certain to show you how much of a JOY it is to love you. 
  • You've got something special, something not a lot of people have. I don't know if I can describe it exactly, but it's an inviting charm about you that is becoming a rarity these days. And if he truly recognized that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
  • Remember that you are brave and fierce and lovely... You are one of the most beautiful women I have ever known.
  • You'll reach a point where you will go from wanting HIM to fight for you, to wanting someone that WILL fight for you.
  • You are beautiful... You will get through this. You will be a better person because of the struggle.
I return to these statements as often as I need because they encourage me... and in many ways lead me to right thinking (instead of the insanity that rages at least 7% of each day).  



So, may we be broken people who seek to think rightly about ourselves. Our pasts. Our loved ones. Our futures.

You Might Also Like

2 comments