Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

how do i love thee? let me count the ways.

By 7:06 PM

Tuesday morning I noticed the banner on the way to work and my heart leapt inside of me.


BOOK SALE THIS WEEKEND
THURSDAY 5-7 PREVIEW SALE
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY 9-3

It's the Lewis Center Book Sale. Possibly my favorite Memphis event of the year. You know, minus Christmas and Easter and the Levitt Shell Fall Music Season. The problem was I worked Friday and my cousin is getting married on Saturday. It was possible, if I chanced it, that I could make it to the sale Saturday morning before the wedding.

But it wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

So I pulled in after work and forked over an extra $5 for the preview sale. You get a spaghetti dinner with that five dollars, and although I could have found some interesting dinner company, I skipped out in favor of the books.

I wandered for a good 45 minutes. And I do have rules, you know. I'm not completely without restraint. I am only allowed to purchase that which I can safely carry in my arms. Thankfully, I have long arms.

I love to wander in the sale. I love to hear the old people remark,

"I think I read that one a long time ago. I may have given it away."
"There are a lot of books in here, but I'm not sure I see one that I want."
"Now this might be the Schwarzkopf book I read. I read one of them. Now, that there is a good book."

A old black man with modern spectacles took my picture while I wasn't looking. My arms were heavy-laden with all the precariously placed finds and I had a fingertip on the spine of a biography. It's was about Ingrid Bergman. I looked up when I heard the winding. It was a real camera. With real film. He smiled big at me. Then someone said, "There's Eddie taking his pictures." To which he remarked, "Yep. I don't show folks my pictures though until after they've gotten developed. That's the way you're supposed to do it." And he continued snapping away.

I don't have an agenda with the book sale. I just pick up what looks interesting. Or what someone I love might find interesting. I'm not afraid of the books with what appears to be mold spots on the pages, but those won't do as gifts. I don't mind ugly covers at the book sale. I usually only read fiction upon recommendation. At the book sale, I notice the books I have heard are good but haven't had time to read. I may venture into uncharted territory if the author has "Pulitizer Prize Winner" next to the name. I know, I'm a snob.

In the end, it's one of the most therapeutic activities for me. The participants are together but separate. We are happy and contemplative. The spines face up in their rows of expectant pleasure, awaiting to be chosen. I walk out content.

Today's Finds

Ciao! - This beginner's Italian textbook (brand new! with audio cd!) will be a gift for my grandmother.

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson - This woman wrote Gilead. I already know this will be a treasure.

Somebody Told Me by Rick Bragg - I love the way Rick Bragg writes and these are his favorite stories and essays. He had me at All Over But the Shoutin'.

The Maytrees by Annie Dillard - Annie Dillard is mysterious to me. I don't always understand what she says but I keep trying.

A Summons to Memphis by Peter Taylor - Of course, the title caught my eye. Then I saw that Peter Taylor is one of the great Souther Writers. Whenever someone is considered, "in the company of Eudora Welty," I'm in.

The Prophetic Imagination by Walter Brueggeman - I've never read any Brueggeman but he's a theologian that I always see quoted so I think it's about time. And it's about the Old Testament prophets. Win.

Freedom of Simplicity by Richard Foster - I'm hungry for that title. And Foster usually shows the way to get there.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave - I think I saw this at Alyssa's house? The cover is great. I judged by the cover. And it's brand new for 50 cents.

Thank You, Holy Spirit by Marilyn Hecksher - This book traces every mention of the Holy Spirit throughout the Bible and discusses the reference. Yes, I know that I'm weird.

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson - my grandmother's dear friend, Inez, loves Bill Bryson. I texted her during the sale to see if she had read this and she hadn't. Score.


You Might Also Like

2 comments