Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

Goodbye Roaring 20s

By 4:43 PM

I turn thirty in a few days!  A fact that surprises even me (unless, of course, I look intently at the crows feet forming around my eyes).  

It seems like just last fall I was moving to Lexington and building new friendships with the people who often sustain me these days (thanks muffins... and so many others).  Funny to realize that was four whole years ago!  How time flies when you're focused on doctoral chaos and then securing a "big kid" job.

As I look back over my 20s, I'm glad for the good friends, long laughs, new adventures, and personal growth.  I had fun. No doubt about that!  Especially being ages 22, 27, and 29... those may have been my favorites so far.

But as I think about the transition from 29 to 30, I realize that I'm glad to graduate from a decade of striving.  What I mean is, I think most of my 20s were spent "trying to figure it out."  Whatever it is--- life, relationships, romance, vulnerability, faith, courage, education, career, wholeness, etc.

And I believe my 30s hold less pressure to "get there" and may permit me to finally just be.   So I toast the upcoming decade.  May it be filled with more good friends, laughter, interesting journeys, beautiful memories, inevitable challenges, and victories. And may that eerie need to arrive dissipate with what's left of my roaring 20s.

Time and tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty.
-- Robert Frost

You Might Also Like

2 comments