Just Another Blog

Just Another Blog
Latest Posts

Grace and Discipline

By 6:09 PM

This summer is a flashback. The last time I worked outside at a camp with kids in Arkansas’ unforgiving sun and humidity I had just graduated from high school. But I'll be honest with you, it's just the experience I needed in my life right now.

Last week I was sitting under a a shaded spot with my group of eleven about-to-be-in-second-grade-ers and I was rattling off an elementary version of crime and punishment. For every time they hit, kick, cuss, spit, tantrum, or otherwise act unruly... I take one minute of their swim time away. Swimming in their holy grail, and believe you me, their infractions add up.

I was going down the list, "Ben you have to sit out only three minutes. Alex you have seven, and so does Joseph and Hunter," when suddenly a risky idea came to me.

Their faces were dropping with each declared punishment. Remorse for their disobedience and carelessness was setting in. And instead of enjoying my authority, I ached with them. I wanted them to enjoy the cooling lake and high dive. I wanted them to build sand castles and sail down the water slide. I did not enjoy the mental picture of their little heads, hung over their sun-kissed knees, waiting for their punishment to subside.

I determined, instead, to teach them the beauty of grace.

I asked, "When you do something wrong and get punished, do you deserve that punishment?" Most of them immediately replied with a sorrowful, "Yes." A couple of the real trouble makers were quiet, I'm sure contemplating a remark that might exclaim their improbable innocence.

Next I asked, "Instead of punishment, how would you all feel if I gave you grace?" They peered at me intuitively, wondering what this new word could mean and how exactly would grace allow them more swim time.

I attempted to unpack for them the simple, beautiful gift that is grace. I explained that God's heart is good, but we aren't always good children, "Are we guys?"
"No, Miss Alyssa."
"But we want to be close to Jesus always, isn't that right?"
Responding with bright eyes and excited voices, "Yes!"
"So how are we able to be in a relationship with the Lord, even if we aren't perfect? Even if we do wrong things?"
One quickly pieced it together..... "GRACE!!! Right? Is that right? Because of grace?"
"Exactly! Grace is when we deserve something like punishment, and we're given kindness and favor instead! Now, how many of you would like a little grace from me so that you don't have to sit out as long during swim time?"

Hands and smiles erupted all over our not-so-secret shady spot. Grace seemed like a good idea. It was free for them, good for them, and they didn't have to be better people or rich to receive it. Their little minds knew what our adult minds try to over complicate: Grace is very good.

I didn't realize how deeply the lesson rooted until the next day when one boy exploded at another during a game of four-square. He took the ball and catapulted it in the direction of his teammate. The red ball was still flying through the air when I bellowed his name harshly and called him to my side. I had him sit down and explain to me why he felt violence was a good solution. As he fumbled for words, I announced that his rage had just cost him three minutes of swim time. He looked at me, his eyes brimming with alligator tears, and he asked the impossible, "Miss Alyssa can you give me grace instead?"

My heart jumped. He'd understood the wonder of grace. He knew he deserved the punishment, but was bold enough to ask for favor instead. Why aren't we more like that with God?

The lesson of grace was grasped. Not just by them, but for me. Abba has birthed in me a deep gratefulness for His mercy. I bathe in it, knowing it is good and unearned. What I have yet to understand or enjoy is God's rich discipline. I am like these seven year old boys. I want all the grace I can get. I don't want any punishment. I don't want to have to change or repattern my character. I want to explode over a game of four-square, or life in my case, and then receive mercy instead of consequences.

The Lord is beginning to help me understand the beauty, too, of His punishment. He doesn't give punishment when His grace reservoir has run dry. He doles it out according to His perfect understanding. He knows that correction through consequences does in fact change us into His likeness. Especially if you're anything like me and have to learn things the hard way. I am exponentially thankful for my Savior's grace. But am learning to appreciate his heart of discipline too.

When one of those boys asks for grace (and they do... everyday) I have the hardest time remaining stern. I want to fold, to always show Mercy. However, I see that responding without punishment does nothing to shape their character. I have to choose to love them enough to shape their hearts, behaviors, and minds. I have to love them enough to show them the consequences of wrong decisions.

I am learning to adore my Father's discipline. It's a new appreciation of a timeless facet of God. May we all learn more of Christ's good grace and discipline.

You Might Also Like

3 comments